One year ago I came across a new packaging tool, that I would like to introduce you to. It’s called Master Packager https://www.masterpackager.com/
I must admit that at first, I was a bit skeptical, doubting that someone could build a new packaging tool in this saturated market nowadays. We are all too familiar with giants like InstallShield, Advanced Installer, and RayPack, who have provided these solutions for years. However, this new product has surprised me and turned out to be better than expected, thus I can safely say, that there is another powerful vendor in the market.
The main value of Master Packager is – Price and Speed to the market compared to others. You can get the same output at a much lower rate than any existing vendors.
I know many of you might think, why would we need another tool for MSI’s as it will be replaced with MSIX. Everyone these days is talking about the new world of packaging and the fact that it will eventually go away, but I just don’t think it will happen anytime soon, and as it stands, for now, we still have to package applications within large organizations, to enable the app to our end users.
I’ve now tested Master Packager for a while, and I can attest to the fact that it is a great packaging tool. It works very fast and can open any MSI that has more than 15,000 files and 160,000 registries in less than 10 seconds. Master Packager can handle such large tables instantly while other packaging tools are not responding for several minutes. I can easily edit MSIs, create MST files or even generate response transform from MSI. Their Repacking tool is slick because it makes a better and cleaner capture. Their User Interface is very modern and straight forward, one can easily understand how to use it, without spending hours on trying to figure it out.
I’ve listed a few cool features that I wanted to highlight, from what I liked in Master Packager:
- Templates – Apply commonly used properties, registries, summary information or custom actions with one click.
- Predefined Per-User Custom Actions – you don’t have to create your own logic to copy per-user files or registry
- Execute PowerShell Customer Actions – you can import any .PS1 files to be executed during installation or uninstallation sequence
- ODBC Data Registration – you can configure ODBC drivers and settings using interface
- Drag and Drop Files or Registries – you pull files or registries into the MP and it will create features, components, and cabs
Try it yourself with their free, no obligations 30-day trial and you just might discover a new product you’ll use in the future https://www.masterpackager.com/